Flushing the flush toilet

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Flushing the flush toilet
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 4:43 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I bet if we knew every circumstance and the nature of each locality for every person visiting here, it really would prove that the Humanure concept can be used anywhere!
The other big interest of mine, has been for a few years now, is small-scale treatment of grey water.
My particular area is in the experimental use of Azolla sp. And the objective is that grey water can be treated sufficiently for it to be stored safely and indefinitely until required for the garden in dry periods.
If anyone wishes to research Azolla, you might be interested in the Website: www.theazollafoundation.org
I feel that this is a companion research to Humanure.... they go hand-in-hand if you like.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Friday, July 25, 2014 - 9:48 pm

We are now even Alan, I cyberstalked you on your site weeks ago. Numerous lakes here have two names depending on the age of the person naming them. In the 60s and 70s many of the overly common names such as Buck, Rock, Pine, Otter and Cedar were changed to avoid comfusion. Being the product of an older father I grew up knowing both names. Buckskin lake, which was originally Buck lake, had a wagon trail just south of it that is still identifiable in some places. It was also near a pioneer road that was built during the American civil war as a dual purpose road to open up wilderness areas and provide a secure way to move troops away from the border areas.

(Message edited by rman on July 25, 2014)

(Message edited by rman on July 25, 2014)

Friday, July 25, 2014 - 7:06 pm

Rman, I hope you will excuse my looking in on that district of yours in Canada, via Google Maps. Awesome country! With all that forest, all those lakes with fascinating names like "Buckskin Lake," must surely indicate lots of activity during the Pioneering Days.

I am so glad you are going the environmentally friendly way.

Friday, July 25, 2014 - 8:29 am

Realized that I had not addressed the original post. At my wife's suggestion I removed our flush toilet and installed our brand new home made sawdust toilet. I made a cap for the flange out of a piece of scrap plywood cut in a fairly round shape and used a new flange as a drilling guide for the hole locations. Put a foam toilet gasket in and voila, one sealed flange. In our case the flange was still in the way so about a week later when we realized we were happy with the system I cut out the flange and water pipe to allow my wife to install her new flooring smoothly in that area. We are now over three weeks in use and couldn't be happier.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 10:33 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I have been reading older posts and I have a general request for people posting. Updates. I enjoy reading the questions, advice and debates but ultimately I would like to know what happened in the end. Did Longsnowsm remove their flush toilet, did they put it back? Updating, even well after the fact makes a thread more complete and gives the reader closure. Thank you in advance for giving me closure. You never call, you never write.....

Author: Longsnowsm (Longsnowsm)
Monday, February 14, 2011 - 1:47 am

Sadly I live in a very small home, and the bathroom is so small you have to go outside to change your mind! So the long and short of it is yes, I will need to remove the existing toilet with the current space constraints. The other thing that comes to mind is the fact that if the flush toilet is still there then people will still be tempted to use the flusher instead of the Loo. So I think that it might just address that issue as well if I remove the flush toilet. Removing the temptation of familiarity will help make the transition. Or that is my hope anyway!

Longsnowsm

Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 5:19 pm

Longsnowsm, I love your enthusiasm! Wish you well and great success with the project.
I have just one question for you: is it really necessary to move the flush toilet out of the way? The Loveable Loo takes up very little room, and it does not have to be "installed." Maybe you don't have room for both facilities.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 3:48 am

Awesome! That is exactly what I was wanting to know was if there was some sort of plug or a way to just cap the pipe so that I can place the composting toilet where the flush one was. Your absolutely right I want to be able to put the flush toilet back in place if we sell the home or if for some other reason I needed to put it back so this sounds like this should work out OK. Thanks for the info!

Longsnowsm

Author: Md_heath (Md_heath)
Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 10:33 am

if there is any possibility of selling the property and the new owner wanting to return the flush toilet then just remove the fixture and install a "plug". a good plumbing supply house should have them. it will fit down inside the drain pipe and has a bolt that, when you tighten it, will create a gas-tight seal. your humanure toilet should easily fit in the same space. If there is a "bump" in the floor, add a couple of pieces of plywood with a hole cut out for the "bump".

Monday, February 07, 2011 - 12:02 am

I was working on some projects around the house today and the question came to me about giving my flush toilet the flush... IE removing it and replacing it with the compost toilet. How many folks here have pulled the flush toilet out and replaced it with the compost toilet? I was wondering what precautions are needed to properly cap the sewage pipe to make sure that no gases or bad things get into the home from the sewage pipe. I would love your input on your experiences replacing your own planet hating toilet with a more lovable one.

Longsnowsm

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.