Kiln-dried

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Kiln-dried
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 5:08 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I agree with what both Halipoo and Rman have said here. If you don't have exactly the sawdust as described in Jo's book, experiment with what you have at hand, employing the basic principles, i.e.,
it must be carbonaceous, like sawdust, ground up dried leaves, pulverized hay, dried cow or camel dung, old compost,, etc. It must smother the surface of your bucket well and not be of large particles, because these don't smother well.
Anyone who has the good sense to be trying this basic toilet technology is the sort of person who will work out something that serves the purpose.

Author: Rowan (Rowan)
Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 4:16 am

I've always used kiln-dried sawdust purely from resinous woods because it's the only material amply available to me, and it works fine. Composting does seem to take a bit longer, but I have time. I do store the sawdust outside to get it wet. It seals off odours in the bucket much better when it's wet.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 8:47 pm

I have used various mixtures that have included dry sawdust from a table saw and I have not noticed any problems.

I would advise anyone to try what they have access to, if there are problems then adjust or change. If I only had access to a material that was not the correct size I would consider trying to re-size it.

Author: Halipoo (Halipoo)
Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 8:15 pm

Im going to throw myself under this bus, I've used kiln-dried sawdust for a couple of years now (not 'treated') and it's been fine, no problems with hydrophobia.

I've seen evidence of my peers being held back in composting by not being able to find fresh moist sawdust or anything but shavings from molding companies or mills. I'd rather see people composting humanure at all than use conventional sewers because all they can find is kiln-dried.

My $0.02

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.