Add Graywater Directly to Compost?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Add Graywater Directly to Compost?
Author: Rman (Rman)
Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:50 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I would think that a large deep compost pile would be able to absorb quite a bit of greywater. The compost pile would be the best place for kitchen greywater because of the food component and the bathroom sink greywater because of the potential fecal content. I have been adding pails of rainwater to mine with good thermal results and I am not in a dry area.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Monday, March 28, 2016 - 3:50 am

As a parallel study to the pure practice of humanure composting, I am also doing some experiments with Azolla in relation to the treatment potential for grey water.
In case you are interested, https://theazollafoundation.org/azollas-uses/waste-water-treatment/
It's an on-going study, often adding further info, but it is certainly proving interesting and effective.
Personally, I have added grey water directly to the humanure compost, especially when the compost has been hot over a considerable period and become a bit too dry. There is no problem.

Author: Hoopyfrood (Hoopyfrood)
Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 1:29 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

That certainly makes sense to me. If anyone has any other cautions or caveats, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Author: Joe (Joe)
Friday, March 25, 2016 - 1:06 pm

You could add it directly, especially in a dry climate.

Author: Hoopyfrood (Hoopyfrood)
Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 7:02 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

While the discussions on graywater in The Humanure Handbook are great, I was wondering if such systems are strictly necessary?

We use only cleaners based on things like castile soap and vinegar, nothing toxic. Why can't one just add graywater directly to the thermophilic compost pile if adding appropriate C/N materials to make sure it doesn't get too wet?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.