Humanure compost and organic certific...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Humanure compost and organic certification
Author: BT Benjaminson
Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 8:02 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Does anyone have info on whether or not properly composted humanure can be used as an input to a certified organic farm? The standard apparently discourages composted municipal solid waste. Do inspectors distinguish home composted stuff from the municipal stuff?

Author: admin
Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 1:39 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I don't think inspectors know that humans produce manure.

Author: seth richards
Monday, February 18, 2002 - 3:22 pm

does anyone know of using mature compost as an aquatic fertilizer? i want any info. regarding any use of any kind of compost as an aqautic fertilizer! thx so much.

Author: Jeni & Mountain
Friday, May 14, 2004 - 11:36 am

Our family is in the process of implementing a permaculture design on our property in Ontario Canada. Our home is a little old schoolhouse. There was a composting toilet set up with "girls & boys" bathrooms:-) We originally designed for a temporary sawdust toilet "dumping" system (as described in The Humanure Handbook), but planned to eventually replace the existing basement bins with composting chambers (also described in The Humanure Handbook). We are so satisfied with our current bucket system that we have decided to avoid the expense and stick with the current set up. We have 4 children ranging from newborn to 8 & the system is working amazingly well! Not sure what our folks will think, but hey, "Everybody Poops"!

Thanks Jenkins, The Nelsons

Author: saths
Friday, May 14, 2004 - 9:02 pm

To J&M What do you do with diapers?Do you compost in the basement?

Author: earthmother
Friday, June 04, 2004 - 9:50 am

Sorry Saths, hadn't checked in awhile. We are currenlty using cloth diapers. I (J) rinse them by hand (the poopy ones) and then pour that water on the compost pile and cover with straw as usual. We have no running water, so I wash them at the laundry mat. If I had a cloth diaper spoiled beyond use I would compost it. I would not recommend composting disposable diapers. Althought they are now made from "paper" rather than plastic, they are often bleached, perfumed, coloured, etc.

We have one outdoor compost bin and plan on adding two more once we collect some more pallets. It is located on the southern portion of our property, approximately 20' from our back door (convenience and out of sight). The only problem so far is that our dog likes to get into the pile! I guess if he'll eat cat shit he doesn't have a problem eating compost that is mixed with humanure:-) We are planning to make a wire "lid" with a hing to keep him out. We drain our sinks into buckets, which is a simplified grey water system (until we implement the permanent one from our permaculture design). We use that water to wash our buckets. The water we use is usually dish water, so it already has biodegradable dish soap. Anyone can do this, just disconnect your pipes and insert a bucket! Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

J (www3.sympatico.ca/earthmother/)

Friday, June 04, 2004 - 1:20 pm

I use a wire lid on my active compost pile (don't need one on the curing pile). But all I did was cut a piece of wire fencing, fairly heavy gauge, to fit over the top of the pile - laid directly on the compost. I just lift it off when adding compost and cover material, then throw it back on when finished. It's very simple, no hinges or wooden frame are needed, and it cost nothing if you have some wire fence lying around (like I did). It keeps dogs out and chickens off, providing the pile has side walls. Dogs can't dig through the wire and chickens can't scratch through it either.

Joe Jenkins

Author: blake
Friday, February 03, 2006 - 11:24 am

my chickens were pissed when we switched from conventional composting( they were allowed to eat out of the pile) to humanure composting.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:46 pm

Throw them some food scraps once in a while.

Author: Bill
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 7:34 pm

You mention the "Western" toileting habbits. True most people are comfortable with the flush toilet, including me but, I want to compost all of my bodily waste. Here is what I came up with, I made an underground compost area, and simply piped the toilet to the hole. There is a greywater collection area used for watering during the dry season (with the toilet water). The humanure is composted together with grass clippings, vegetable scraps, spoiled fruit/veges, leaves, weeds, and end of season plant stalks. The system is tumbled twice a week, and decomposes almost year round because it is below our frost line. When it does go dormant, it serves as a holding tank until spring. Lime, and other animal manures are occasionally mixed in (cow/horse).

Author: TCLynx
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:26 pm

Bill,
Are you still using a regular flush toilet with water for this system?
How are you keeping the "hole" from leaching untreated water into the groundwater system?
When you say greywater collection but then say (toilet water) I'm confused. Greywater is generally any waste water other than toilet water. Toilet water is concidered black water.
How big is this system and how is it tumbled?
How do you keep it airated so it doesn't become anarobic?
What kind of temperatures do you reach with this system?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.