Open greywater pond?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Open greywater pond?
Author: Joy
Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 5:55 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

How about just an open greywater pond? I want a small pond, anyway, and don't know if there would be a good reason to not use all this greywater to help fill it. I dug a shallow drywell or whatever, intending to fill it with gravel, but even this pure yellow sand is holding water, and I'm itchin' to go dig it a little deeper and bigger, maybe put some goldfish in it. I live in [normally] damp East Texas, so there is a lot of precipitation to dilute the greywater. Would it be safe for critters to drink out of, etc.?

Thanks for any feedback

Author: joe jenkins
Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 9:56 pm

There are a few poential problems with open graywater ponds: 1) they can smell rank if the stagnate; 2) they can breed mosquitos; 3) they can harbor pathogenic organisms (fecal coliforms, for example). It's better if the pond has a healthy algal or aquatic plant life and the gray water flows through the system, being filtered by the plants.

Author: Joy Rex
Monday, March 04, 2002 - 8:13 am

If I planted a lot of aquatic plants around it...? The only mention I saw of this in your book was the *acidic* runoff you added your greywater to. I'm just too timid about this to experiment a whole lot; afraid I might cause some big problems somehow.

Thanks

Author: joe
Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 2:00 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Why not try a small constructed wetland system? They're described in the Humanure Handbook, chapter 9. These are shallow, gravel filled, water-proof, containers or depressions on the ground, planted with aquatic plants. You run your graywater through the system to purify it. System sizes are mentioned in the book, and apparently, they don't have to be very big.

Author: DaronPage
Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 4:49 pm

could you just use it to water trees, yard and gardens?

Author: maddy
Monday, March 25, 2002 - 5:16 pm

here is a link that addresses your problem...very interesting reading...the water that comes out of these bullrush ponds is drinking water quality!
Good luck, Maddy

https://www.ratical.org/LifeWeb/Articles/rushes.html

Author: Chris_J_Moor
Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 9:20 am

The potential problems of open greywater ponds may be aleviated by appropriate pretreatment. This would involve as near-complete mineralisation of suspended organic matter and reduction of the BOD, as practically possible. Exclusion of greasy matter, food wastes and harsh cleaners and detergents is also important. The simplest treatment consists of mechanical filtration, followed by a boxed, planted, leach bed with subsurface trickle irrigation. After treatment, the water trickles out of the base of the box to fill the pond! See the link below:

https://www.greywater.com/

Author: TCLynx
Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 5:14 pm

You may be better off sending the grey water to mulch pits around trees and shrubs. Study up on pond construction and perhaps build a pond as a separate project. Ponds are rather complex ecosystems and trying to keep fish alive in a systems that intermittently has different things washed into it could be tough.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.