Compost for the body and mind?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Compost for the body and mind?
Author: pearse
Friday, March 16, 2001 - 6:01 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

hi evryone and anyone.
ilike so many enjoyed the h.m.handbook and tell anyone willing to listen all about it as a wonderful guide to what we all know deep down makes sense.
ive got a quiry. it came about after reading how compost can breathe life into all types of abused soil and the amazing accounts of its magic work on radioactive substances.
it is ,has anyone ever used living compost as a treatment for their body/minds. by this i mean as atheraputic remedy? my idea of this would be having a compost bath for some time until the benifits are aqquired. does anyone have any ideas on this or heard of it or even better done it? i know we reap the benifits through our food ,its just such terrific stuff id like to think we could apply it more. so hopefuly someone can help. when i get the chance im going to give it a go. ill be safe ,but would love to hearfrom oyu if you can help?
slan
all the best in life
pearse

Author: J. Lumley
Monday, April 09, 2001 - 9:13 am

Well some natives have rituals around eating
dirt, covering themselves in it and generally
getting that connection with the soil. I
dug a pond a couple of years ago in a wooded
low spot where I discovered springs and got
a sweet water pond and brook to flow. I did
a mud bath as a "cleanse" to disconnect with
the urban soot and grime and general environmental
disconnect. I can't say that I would recommend
bathing in compost unless it was well aged.
It's all a matter of timing I guess. Food becomes
humanure and humanure enriches the ground which
grows more food. I believe that it is good for
the body and soul to get a certain amount of
good clean soil such as found in a forest on
and in the body. We all come from the soil, i.e.
earth and we are all going back to it. Again
it's all about timing. But there are beneficial
microrganisms in the soil that we benefit from
when we eat a carrot or radish with with clean
soil. Good luck with the compost bath, I recommend starting with a clay mud bath followed
by "caking" in the sun. JDLCapt

Author: Andrew Rettig
Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 3:16 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

I cant see why you wouldn't want to 'bathe' in the sweet smelling richness that is the earths black gold. Mud-baths are common beauty treatment so a compost bath? why not .....
go for it!!

Author: dave the knave
Monday, November 05, 2001 - 7:11 pm

Studies have shown that a common component of soil
is made by bacterial action on animal wastes"B12"
and that a deficiency of B12 is only found in the
so called developed world where humanure and other
manures are considered waste to be gotten rid of
rather than a resource to be used as fertilizer..
Those countries which flush these resources away
have wide spread B12 deficiencies and rely on
supplements,but anyone who is at least a little
connected via a garden or some houseplants will
touch the soil and be fortified..

Author: Sue Savage
Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 5:46 pm

Does anyone have more information on Vitamin B12 in mature compost like in the humanure handbook?

Author: Amy-Sunshine
Friday, June 14, 2002 - 11:07 pm

Wow, that B12 thing makes sooo much sense. I remember reading that B12 vitamin supplements are best taken by keeping them under your tongue, so they can literally absorb into the capilaries there. I can imagine B12 absorbing into one's skin in the same way...
I'd love to read more on this as well!

Author: saths
Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 10:14 am

To Amy, I have used B12 under the tongue & found that it works. Also try holding vitimin pills in your hands. they absorb there too.That's why I thought if B12 is in finished compost your hands would absorb it. I read that vegetarians need animal foods to get it.

Author: joe
Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 11:14 am

For what it's worth, I was a vegetarian for 15 years and vegan for five and never took B-12 supplements. I did make and eat fermented foods such as sauerkraut (from my humanure composted cabbages), as I understood that such (live) foods contained Vitamin B-12.

Incidentally, I now eat meat since we raise our own chickens and ducks, mostly for eggs, and we have to annually thin the flocks, so some go to the butcher and end up roosting in the freezer. Where I live (western PA, USA), the native population raised poultry in captivity, mostly wild turkeys. They also hunted the native wildlife for survival. I haven't gone that far, but I like to think that people who lived in this climate for 10,000 years probably know how best to survive in the long term.

Author: Bat-Tzion Benjaminson
Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 5:01 am

I have been getting some volunteer tomato plants and pumpkins around the edges of h.m. compost piles that are still fresh (just a few months since last "deposit" of bucket.) Is it safe to eat the tomatoes and pumpkins? I don't think so but just though I'd ask.
Also, what about placing a bin under a grape arbor and filling the bin during the winter rainy season. Would the grapes be safe when they are ripe the following autumn?

Author: admin
Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 10:56 am

It should be safe to eat the fruit (after washing) if they did not come in contact with the compost.

If you build a compost pile under a grape arbor the extra ground cover could possibly kill the grapes. I don't know that this would happen, but it depends on the root system. If you add a thick layer of dirt over the roots of trees, for example (around the base of a tree), it can kill the tree. Maybe position the compost adjacent to the grapes and not directly over their root system.

Author: Anonymous
Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 9:57 am

Hi people

A question -- has any one anywhere in the industrialised west managed to get a local government authority or EPA type body to approve a normal composting arrangement as proposed in the humanure book approved for an urban area?

I'm a convert! To think, of all that crap I buried when I was a teenager on a farm! We composted everything else ...

Cheers
Geoff

Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 12:41 pm

The question is not one of EPA approval. *If* approval is required by law, *then* approval is sought. Otherwise, there is no advantage whatsoever to getting authorities or bureaucrats involved in something about which they know little. Humanure composting is considered backyard composting, and the regulations pertaining to such an activity are the ones that should be looked at, if they exist. The legal issues that could present themselves concern such things as public nuisance issues - odors, vermin, etc. These are easily avoidable by intelligent people who are conscientious about their composting practices.

Joe Jenkins

Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 1:09 pm

We want someone to convert our water flush toilets to composting toilets. Do you know of anyone reputable in western massachusetts who can do this? Are any of the manufactured toilets better than others? Thanks for any info.

Monday, July 07, 2003 - 12:36 pm

Maybe contact Tad Montgomery at tad@shaysnet.com

Friday, November 26, 2004 - 9:54 pm

How does one convince a girlfriend that you are not a freak if you compost your manure...? any suggestions?

Author: Larry
Friday, November 26, 2004 - 11:46 pm

You are a freak in this society if you compost humanure. Be proud that you're not in the wasteful polluted mainstream. Give your friend a copy of The Humanure Handbook, and hope for the best. You can lead a horse to water...

Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 2:07 pm

Tell her to read chapter 8. It's the most scientific one in the book.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 8:30 pm

We have a family of 6 and used a sawdust toilet system for around 6 months. Those with an open mind were accepting (although no one ele converted to composting toilet use :-)

I personally did not mention it nless someone was ging to be visiting. We lived in a rural area with a lot of families who had used outhouses for years. I did not find that anyone (atleast that i was aware of) judged us negatively.

You have to be who you are, not who someone wants you to be.

Peace

Author: TCLynx
Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 10:41 pm

In the book there was mention of a people who used their composted humanure to grow their food and how healthy these people were. I expect it may be even more than just having the very firtle soil growing healthy food. I would guess the practice also boosts the immune systems of the people handling the compost and everyone around them.

Author: Thomas Schnapp
Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 4:40 pm

Hi all, as far as I am concerned this is safe and sane natural recycling. I have a sawdust tolet and am building bins. In my opinion trying to get any agencys' "approval" will muck things up. These people just exist to regulate things that they don't understand. When the population has grown to a size to create problems as far as sewage goes the agencies will provide "study grants" to see how to solve the problem. Some genius will discover "humanure composting" and it will be a good thing to do, as now it is "thier idea". Are my views okey, or am I not being polshitically correct??? Best to all, keep up the good work!
Yours,
Waste not want not

Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 12:46 pm

You hit the nail on the head.

Monday, January 30, 2006 - 7:32 am

Hi Guys - Have been using the H manure technique for the past 15 years and have just happily shared the annual portion of black gold around the lucky fruit trees... still keep hoping for a repeat of a few years back....we always throw our paper rubbish on the pile and have to pull out any sneaky bits of plastic that have made their way in before we spread it...that particular January I found a $50 note!! Lucky Australia has plastic notes - it pays to compost you know!!!!
Our two boys think it is totally uncool though and say they'll never be able to bring girls home!! Any suggestions?

Monday, January 30, 2006 - 9:07 pm

They need to find cool girls. There are plenty out there.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.