Toilet paper in the manure

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Toilet paper in the manure
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 5:19 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

That is pretty cool Larry

Author: Larry Warnberg (Larry)
Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:45 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Speaking of toilet paper, here's an interesting idea that comes from one of my recycling newsletters: convert a CD holder to a TP container. Check out the conversion instructions at:
https://www.curbly.com/frithmobiles/posts/351-Reduce-Reuse-Recycle-

Author: Bruce Cambron
Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 9:55 pm

I know in your book you said that toilet paper shouldn't be seperated. But isn't white toilet paper bleached? I don't put my paper in the toilet because I don't want the bleach to mix. If it's okay to put the paper in the toilet can you explain why the bleach is not a problem?

Thanks,

Bruce

Author: joe
Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 12:16 pm

It's not a problem for me. Toilet paper composts readily and I can't think of any better way to deal with it.

Author: Anonymous
Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 4:41 am

Look around. In Australasia,(Im in New Zealand )you can buy unbleached toilet paper from recycled office paper etc.
Even the wrapper is brown paper so it can all go in bag ,paper and the roll in the middle.

Author: DaronPage
Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 9:57 am

I think that once the bleach dries it will not do much if any harm.

Author: Herb_Wis
Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 10:27 am

It's funny. My cousin lives about 60 miles away and has a "normal" septic tank system. He lives right on a lake and the water table is high and his septic system is small and marginal. So HE separates out HIS toilet paper and burns it!

Humanure bins rule!

One time I was back home on Lake Michigan and went fishing with my dad. We took a boat to a perch fishing hotspot off of Racine's sewage treatment plant. The fishing was good, but at the sewage treatment plant outlet there were strands of something coming up that looked suspiciously like toilet paper!

That is the same water they drink! Gotta say the current system is "ass backwards."

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:49 am

Bleach is rinsed out of the paper same as when you bleach clothing, otherwise it would burn your bum. Actually it would probably disintegrate long before reaching your bum if the bleach was left in it. The main reason not to flush alot of toilet paper is it can contribute to cloging a marginal septic system with solids.
I wouldn't worry about composting any toiletpaper. If you want to do even more good for the environment you can buy unbleached because that doesn't require disposing of the bleaching rinse water during manufacture. It will have little impact on your compost either way.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.