Renters and humanure composting

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Renters and humanure composting
Author: Anonymous
Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 2:22 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

A group of friends and I are really wanting to get started with humanure composting, but there’s one big problem – we’re all renters, and generally don’t live at any one residence long enough to do the full humanure cycle. So what I’ve been wanting to do is simply use the sawdust toilets at our various residences and transport the humanure (and other compost) to compost bins that we would construct in the yards of our homeowner friends. Unfortunately we haven’t had much luck so far, as fecophobia is very much entrenched in the minds of even the more progressive folk around here. When I go into detail about the procedures in the book, and how well it worked at a community I visited, they agree with it in theory, but still don’t want it in their back yard. If only they were more enlightened, they’d be fighting over all that good shit!
Well, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Maybe there could even be an exchange section on this website, or another site, where homeowners wanting to have bins constructed on their property could get in touch with would-be humanure composting renters in their area….

Author: Keith Christensen
Monday, December 27, 2004 - 11:03 pm

I think that the exchange section would even be helpful for the family that lives on their boat (separate thread) and haven't the space/land to build a compost heap. Sometimes the phobic make life so difficult!

Author: Anonymous
Monday, February 27, 2006 - 11:55 pm

We've been composting in a couple of large trash cans (drilld full of holes) on a 10' by 10' patio in front of our appartment. They fill up fast though (probably because the smaller the container, the larger the ratio of surface area compaired to inner contents, hence the cover material takes up as much space as there is available for the contents). We are planning to take the contents up to a piece of property I have to let it cure for a year. Then we will use it to ammend the soil for the landscaping after we build.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.