Affirmation

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Affirmation
Author: saths
Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 2:22 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Mr Jenkins, Is there an organation that uses your method that would affirm it-- maybe like "world vision" or "red cross"?

Author: admin
Friday, March 19, 2004 - 10:26 am

There are communities in the US that are using it, but so far no international organizations that I am aware of.

Joe

Author: Larry Warnberg
Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:28 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Composting toilets are receiving increased attention at EPA. Last year the agency published a 20-year revision of its Manual for Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems, recognizing the value of "biological toilets" for water conservation and prevention of surface/ground water nutrient pollution. Just this week the quarterly Small Flows Journal (EPA) carried an extensive article on composting toilets and graywater reuse.
At the State level, Washington has taken the lead with new Guidelines that allow non-proprietary owner-built composting toilets, including the simple sawdust/bucket toilet.
I have lobbied various organizations, including American and International Red Cross, which has expressed interest in composting toilets for use in disaster-relief operations. Sanitary facilities are often an urgent need after floods, hurricanes, war, etc. As The Humanure Handbook gets translated into more languages, I expect increased interest in this simple, affordable and effective composting toilet system.

Author: Anonymous
Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 8:24 am

Mr. Jenkins, Will the comunities accept questions by email or regular mail? If so would you please post their addresses? It seems like it would further the cause if they were made public. The opponents will have to accept the change when polution reaches their door.

Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 8:26 am

I didn't mean to put anoymous on the last post.

Author: admin
Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:56 pm

I don't keep track of the communities that use humanure systems. People email me and say they're using the system in their community here and there. One, for example, is Dancing Rabbit [https://www.dancingrabbit.org/tour/tour_outhouse.html]. There have been many others. I suppose I should start keeping track of them, but I don't want to violate their privacy by making their names or locations known to the public. You can try typing "humanure" into Google. There are 5,730 pages (used to be only 8 when the book first came out). You can search through those and find other locations.

Joe

Author: Larry
Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:23 am

Humanure composting is being promoted in the online magazine Daily Grist. Author Lilly Fessenden of the Audubon Expedition Institute describes her use of a pickle bucket and sawdust to compost humanure as part of a grassroots project to reduce household waste and recycle everything onsite. Check it out at: https://www.gristmagazine.com/interactivist/fessenden032604.asp?source=daily

Author: Herb_Wis
Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:45 am

Interesting little article. But she says:

"A composting toilet makes all of this easier."

It doesn't get much easier than crapping in a bucket (or a plastic bag) and then dumping it into a compost bin. But one thing is certain, a fancy purchased composting toilet is WAY more costly and that alone may make some people feel better psychologically about using this type of waste system.

Rather I should say, "waste into riches" system.

Reading the Humanure Handbook came like a revelation for me.

Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 9:50 am

I went to the Grist Magazine & thought it was pretty sensible.Farmers used to & maybe still do call a ground grain batch a grist.
I thought that composting is like a grist the way it ends up all sort of ground.

Author: Larry
Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 10:18 pm

Composting humanure in Washington State should become easier. Today the Dept. of Ecology announced that it formally adopted a new 30-year comprehensive plan called Beyond Waste. One chapter in the plan is devoted to closed loop organics recycling. Among the materials considered suitable for composting include food scraps and manures. Composting facilities that have more than 10 cubic yards of material onsite are considered commercial, and must have a permit. But small-scale backyard composting is finally recognized as an important tool in reducing the solid wastestream. Looks like composting humanure could finally move into the mainstream. Check out the Organics chapter at:
https://www.ecy.wa.gov/pubs/0407027.pdf

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.