Update on my compost pile

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Update on my compost pile
Author: south_nj
Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 9:46 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

well, I was able to make deposits into my compost pile for 6 months, (got interupted due to work situation).

The compost pile has now met the 1 year age mark and
it looks to have shrunk by quite a bit seems to be about 1/3 of the size it was when I had to leave it,
of course, no noxious smells, no critters running around in it, saw a couple of large mushrooms growing on it. I am getting ready to set up for the next bin to start depositing into that...

Author: south_nj
Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 11:32 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

oh just wanted to add a couple of things....

I used licorice root mulch for covering in the bucket for awhile, tried to use wood shavings but that didn't really work as it allowed a smell. I didn't have access to sawdust. The root mulch worked
excellently in terms of keeping down smell, and I guess it did pretty well in the pile as it certainly did seem to compost... guess I won't know really for another year...

I used hay for the actual compost pile and that did work well... no smell from the pile at all, well maybe a slight hay smell which was pleasant...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.