Bear in the compost

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Bear in the compost
Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 7:41 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

A black bear has found my humanure compost bin. I would have thought all the urine and feces would be offputting but guess I was wrong. I rarely add meat or fish scraps to the pile but do have a lot of veg scraps and fruit. No more meat/fish/milk/fruit composting. How about veg scraps? Does anyone have experience with this?

Author: admin
Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 11:35 am

Have you tried laying a piece of heavy guage wire mesh over the top of the compost?

Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 4:06 pm

No I haven't. If it is just laying on top, why wouldn't the bear simply push it off? Has this worked for others?
thanks

Author: admin
Friday, September 09, 2005 - 6:14 pm

The top of the compost pile should be below the sides of the compost bin most of the time, so it's not easy to just push off a wire fence section. The bear would have to lift it off. Use a heavy wire and make sure your pile is enclosed on at least three sides, preferably four.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.