Moving a Humanure Compost Pile

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Moving a Humanure Compost Pile
Author: Meismeems (Meismeems)
Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 3:32 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Wow, so humanure becomes unrecognizable in a short period of time, then....good to know.

Thanks for sharing!

Author: S. Infante
Monday, February 27, 2006 - 9:09 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I have been humanure composting for a year. We decided to put our house on the market after we bought a little (1.5 acre) farm (room enough for the milk cow I will soon own) a little south of where we currently live (easier on the mortgage pocket book too). Our realtor advised no more humanure collection until we sold the house. So, in December I stopped adding humature to the pile but continued to add kitchen scraps and chicken manure from my chickens. It was time to retire the pile, but as we were going to be moving soon, I decided to continue to add until we moved and took it with us and would start a new pile at our farm.

Well, this weekend, we moved it. My dad brought over his little Yanmar tractor and the bucket conveniently fit right into my bin. It totally filled a long bed pickup truck; my dad estimated about 2000 pounds worth. It is beautiful stuff. In the 2 months that I had not been adding humanure, any signs of humanure was gone. Just rich compsting action happening, with a core temperature of 100 degrees.

We did find a nest of mice living in the lower, cooler regions, which ran out into the chicken yard and were promptly eaten by the chickens. There were also TONS of grubs HUGE, as big as my thumb and some even bigger. I saved as many as possible for the chickens, a delicacy for them.

I made a round wire bin to let it age at the farm, so it will be ready next spring for my garden.

That was our experience in moving a humanure pile. A lot of shovel-fuls to get it out of the truck, but it work well worth doing.

P.S. I had told the prospetive buyers that if they wanted my compost, it would be a deal-breaker- It absolutely did not come with the house! They thought that was pretty funny.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.