Joe - black locust for compost bin

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Joe - black locust for compost bin
Author: Joe Jenkins
Friday, July 07, 2006 - 1:04 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

My original bins were made from salvaged scrap lumber - anything I could scrape up. They lasted 15 years, although I had to replace a board once in a while. The side boards were attached to locust posts dug into the ground.

In Mongolia, we didn't even use posts, we just used 1" boards for uprights and nailed the side boards to the boards to make a box that sat on top of the ground.

Cypress would probably be great.

Author: scott
Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 1:12 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Joe, I am aware that you used black locust posts and side boards on your compost bins. I am going to be constructing a bin set up similar to yours this summer or fall. I have searched here in souteast ohio for black locust and can not locate. Is it available where you are? I would be willing to make a trip to your area (about 4 hours) to get a bunch of it if you know of a place (i also need extra locust posts to go completely around future garden so we can fence it against deer.

In holmes county (amish country - a 2.5 hour one way trip) i can buy cypress boards for 1.33 per board foot. However they do not have 3" or 4" type stock so I would need to nail a few together for the posts for the bin. But someone told me this week that cypress would rot much faster than black locust (although would do better than pine).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.