Urine

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Urine
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 8:29 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Make sure the compost bin is placed away from the streembeds and well above high water mark. When a compost bin is placed on soil there is little issue with lechate or liquid run off but that is somewhat dependant on the climate and soil. Heavy rainfall could be an issue in some climates, in which case you might want a roof over the compost bins to keep them from being too wet. I kept a cover over my bins in FL during the rainy season.

The main way to deal with liquids is to have enough cover material in the bottom of the compost bins before you start. 18-24 inches of cover material in the bottom of the bin before adding anything to be composted. I've found that finished compost is great for the purpose of absorbing liquid in the bottom of the compost bin. (All the more necessary when composting in a small container on a concrete pattio.)

In some larger comercial composting situations they have a lechate drain to collect excess moisture that is then pumped back over the compost. This is probably more hi tech and malfunction prone that you want to concider.

Author: Alejandro Ulloa (Alejoulloa)
Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:56 am

Well... I haven't thought about some one just for the composting process! That will change few things. Thanks for the comment! The other question I have come up with is how can I avoid composting pile's fluids go to water sources? I have 2 little water streams and I am not sure what to put or how at the bottom of the pile.
Thanks a lot.
Alejandro

Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 9:49 am

Odor. Inside with the bucket the only time I notice odor is right after a solid deposite if it isn't covered imediately, or if very little cover material has been used and the bucket is very full of urine.
In general I have not had problems with unplesant odor in by the toilet.

So long as there is plenty of cover material and the people using the toilets, use it properly, things should be fine. You may need to experiment with cover materials to find what works best for your situation. The buckets also need to be emptied often.

The unplesant part sometimes comes when emptying a rater full bucket into the bin. (my problem is that our bins are too small since we are composting on a 9 X 9 foot patio) Sometimes when dumping the bucket, if it has sat for too long the amonia odor is offensive. In that case I try to work fast and get things covered quickly. (small bins make surrounding the smelly contents with adequate cover material tricky and occasionally I've noticed odor problems around my bins) With full size bins this will be much easier.

In a tropical climate you might concider rather airy open style bins perhaps using wire mesh instead of planks for the sides of the bin. You might also want a cover or roof over the bin during the rainy season. I like the cover far enough above the bin to allow plenty of air at the compost. If there is a roof over it though, you then need to make sure that the compost doesn't dry out too much.

I suspect your biggest issue will be keeping the buckets rotated, especially if you have large groups using them. It doesn't take long to fill up a bucket and some one needs to be replacing them, the cover material, and managing the compost piles. Do you have some one who can devote their attention to the compost, cover material, and buckets?

Good luck, keep us posted as to how it goes!!!!!!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9:10 am

I will be using the simplest five-gallon buckets with sawdust and they will be placed in a well-ventilated kyosk. It is tropical weather, average 24 centigrades, humid. I consider urine very important for the compost process, but I am concerned about odor. I aprecciate very much your help!
Alejandro

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:11 am

What type of composting toilets are you planning to use? Most comercial systems have a way to evaporate the extra moisture. If you are planning a set up more like the humanure system Joseph Jenkins developed, then the key is to have plenty of space and lots of dry cover material that can absorb moisture. Urine is important to make compost hot!!!!!!

Friday, October 13, 2006 - 6:52 pm

Great that there is a place like this one. I am a conservationist, from Colombia in SouthAmerica and I will be opening a centre for conservation education in which I will use the composting toilets. Although I still have not started the building process I have the doubt of what to do with the considerable amount of urine that will be produced by the visitors. They will be mostly children, but still I believe there will be a lot of urine. Any suggestion or can I handled it just with the regular process?
Thanks a lot for yout help
Alejandro

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.