Leaf Lurking

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Leaf Lurking
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Friday, February 01, 2008 - 7:45 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Fellows power shredder.
After we broke two of the medium duty shredders from staples.

Author: jB (Jimb)
Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:43 am

I refuse to pay for composting materials.

Beyond yard clippings and kitchen scraps, I scrounge for anything else I can get. I've scrounged christmas trees, coffee grounds, shredded office paper, halloween pumpkins, supermarket produce fresh out of the dumpster, horse manure, and any yard clippings the neighbors care to donate.

TCLynx: what do use for shredding phone books and cardboard?

two cents _ _ jB

Author: Sue Hodgson (Sueh)
Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:11 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I've been known to rake up the huge amounts of grass clippings (if amounts that large can be called clippings, it's more like raking hay) from the unused properties beside a busy road that are only mowed once a year. This gives me as much free compost material as I have the energy to bag... and it bags up fast. We're talking feed-an-elephant level grass clippings.

The strangest compost materials I've put in there are various little dead animals, but I don't use them for cover : )

Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Friday, December 14, 2007 - 6:44 pm

This is a topic idea from the soil compost and mulch forum over on garden web. There are some great compost whackos over there and funny stories about the lengths people will go to gathering compost materials.

I thought a similar thread would be appropriate here.

I don't like buying materials for the compost pile and a large amount of cover materials are needed to keep the compost properly covered at all times. We of course keep an eye out for any bagged leaves put out for collection in our neighborhood.

I've found that cardboard is a great worm bin bedding and also good for weed control when building no dig garden beds. I go to costco and collect the cardboard slip sheets that they have between layers of products on the pallets.

Old phone books are a great absorbant cover material when shredded and we use shredded paper along with sawdust in the buckets.

My Bins https://www.composting.tclynx.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.