Question about salinity?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Question about salinity?
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Friday, February 01, 2008 - 7:43 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Michael,
I expect salinity is more of a problem when using chemical fertilizers than from humanure compost. Actually, some fresh animal manures can be pretty high in salt if they are wet with the animal's urine.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 6:15 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Salinity has never been an issue.

Author: Michael Simpson (Mik)
Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 7:40 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hi Joe,

I'm a tremendous fan of your books, and have recently started a sawdust toilet system as described in the Handbook - one of the best books I've ever read. It's a fantastic idea, and I think a lot more people would be doing it if they knew how easy it was!

I was enthusiastically telling a friend about it over dinner last night who is an avid composter (but doesn't compost humanure), and he thought the idea made a lot of sense, but he had a concern about salt buildup in the soil. He was wondering if applying finished humanure compost to the same small vegetable garden area, over a period of time, could cause salinity problems due to concentration of salts from urine etc.

I am sure you haven't had any problems as you have been doing it for so long, but I couldn't seem to find any reference to salinity in the 3rd edition of the Handbook (please correct me if otherwise). It would be great to hear some thoughts on this, and whether it is something to consider. In our area of Australia we have very low rainfall with heavy clay soil, so I guess it could potentially be relevant.

Cheers!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.