Segregation speed and leaching

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Segregation speed and leaching
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:57 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Here is my personal view on turning of a humanure pile. I would only do it near the end of the curing period, not so much to speed or improve the compost itself but to break and mix it up a bit for better texture when spreading.

As you know, there may be some bits of the compost that don't reach the high temps and therefore need the curing period to be safe. Turing right after the compost starts to cool, while it might by chance get some of the unheated material into the still warm middle, it may be just as likely to flip some of that material right out of the bin.

And in a continuing bin, how to you turn the stuff that is starting to cool while you still have hot stuff on top of it? Or on the other hand, you are probably talking about waiting a month after stopping additions to a full bin and then turning it? If so, same issue of material getting out of the bin. And the fact that you then need a bin to turn the material into.... It really probably wouldn't do enough to speed the process to make the extra work worth it.

Author: Iuval Clejan (Clejan)
Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:47 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

What about turning it once it has had a chance to thermophilically compost, in order to speed up the process?

Also, do you know WHY food scraps speed up the process? It can't be the nitrogen, since humanure is already rich in nitrogen, so do you think it is some other nutrients available in the food for our hungry thermphiles?

And, if you didn't have any problem with the pile in the garden, why, praytell did you move it? Is there a fecophobe in your family?

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:32 am

Food scraps greatly benefit a humanure compost pile, as does a mix of other materials - grass, leaves, weeds, etc. You will achieve hotter compost and a better finished material.

On the other hand, you *can* make humanure compost without food scraps and other materials. It may not heat up a lot, however. My humanure compost at my place of business does not have food scraps or much of anything except humanure, sawdust and straw,although I try to add some food material whenever it's available (not very often). I don't recommend putting the food scraps into the humanure toilet as it can breed fruit flies if the container sits around too long. If it's emptied on a regular basis, you won't have that problem.

Regarding putting food scraps into the humanure compost pile, remember that you always put organic material *into* a compost pile, never *onto* a compost pile. Always dig a hole in the top center and dump the food material in there, then cover it over. That should take care of your animal problems.

It's hard for me to comment on the compost pile in the garden without seeing how it's set up. The issue is leachate getting into food crops. The humanure compost pile should be like a quarantined system which keeps the humanure locked up and out of contact with people or animals until it is converted by the microbes. I had a humanure compost pile in my garden once (corn patch, actually) and didn't have a problem, but I prefer it away from the garden area.

Author: Alan J Marshall (Ecointerest)
Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:47 pm

Iuval, just a small input re. mixing food scraps with the humanure... Previously when using just a standard composting toilet, (NOT the same as the sawdust toilet promoted by Joe), I found that mixing the food scraps in tended to attract vinegar flies much more than if the food scraps were kept out. I have noticed this same problem with other people's systems where they have also added food scraps. I'm sure Joe will reply to your letter about how it applies to the sawdust toilet, and I will very interested to hear what he has to say.

Author: Iuval Clejan (Clejan)
Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:00 pm

1. Is it OK to have humanure that does NOT have added food scraps to it but only leaves and some dead grass? I thought the book was emphatic that segregation of food scraps from humanure is not a good idea, but mostly for the benefit of the food scraps, not for the benefit of the humanure. The reason why we might want to do that here is that we live in a wild area and we thought there would be less of a chance of animals getting into our humanure pile which is not protected by a fence, but only by chicken wire, whereas the food pile is in the garden, protected by fence. I thought that if thermophilic composting works, the animals won’t have much of a chance to eat the food before it at least partially composts

2. Is there any problem with having a humanure pile in the garden, as long as there are 18 inches of absorbent material underneath? My community members are concerned about leaching into the food crops.

3. Is it OK to turn the compost pile with humanure after it has finished the thermophilic process for a few days in order to speed up the process? I thought the waiting for a year once the bin is full is independent of humanure and pathogen issues for an unturned pile, just waiting for the compost to cure. Is this correct, or do we worry about pathogens in areas of the bin that may not have thermophilically composted?

Thanks,
-Iuval

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.