When someone in the house is sick?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: When someone in the house is sick?
Author: Karen lar (K_lar)
Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:44 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Could compost from a Clivus Multrum type composting toilet be hot composted by simply adding as the C component to a standard hot compost pile?

Author: Liat Perlmutter (Liat)
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 5:03 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Thank you all for your answer.
I think we'll use the same compost pile for everything as we wanted after reading the book.

Thanks,
Liat.

Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:48 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Liat,
You will need to make your own decisions about how you will compost and how you will use it. That said, the common illnesses are really not to worry about in the composting scheme of things. The hot composting is really the best way to deal with most of these pathogens.

Some basic safety measures like actively managing a pile so it doesn't become a smelly heap, The tools used on the active pile should not be then used in the garden. Not letting kids or pets play in the compost pile until it has aged sufficiently. If you don't feel comfortable about the compost's safety, then you always have the option to age it longer or only use it on ornamentals.

I'm gonna use my humanure compost on the eddible veggie garden.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:17 pm

I can only describe my own personal experiences. My family has used all of our humanure to make compost for the past 29 years, the vast majority of the compost has been used in our food garden, without reservation (the family includes 6 kids - mostly grown now). We have never analyzed our compost for pathogens, nor tested any visitor or household resident for parasites or disease (except myself - I have been tested 3X for parasites over a period of 15 years - all negative). I have traveled through various countries during the past 29 years - Peru, Mexico, Bolivia, Paraguay, Guatemala, Colombia, Argentina, Brazil, Ecuador, Mongolia, China, Ireland, England, Wales, Scotland, Spain, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Canada, some of them multiple times, and there are probably some that I can't remember right now. My son has traveled to India, Tibet, and Guinea, among others, and other family members have done their share of international traveling. We have also had visitors from around the world many times. We maintained a non-public school on our property for 5 years and hosted many events with up to 150 people. These people all used our toilet system. During that period of time, some of our family members have had normal illnesses - flu, mostly. All excrement goes into the compost system whether someone is ill or not. We have been pretty lucky with our health to the extent that we have never even had a family doctor. Still don't.

But our compost does heat up and that's why I tell people how we make our compost - no segregation of organic materials, including urine, all of which goes into the same pile with the humanure, etc., etc. (heck, I wrote a book about it).

If the compost doesn't heat up, such as some experimental compost I'm making now at my place of business that is devoid of food scraps and other green materials, then I will use it for horticultural purposes (flowers, trees, shrubs, etc.) rather than for gardening.

That being said, someone else making humanure compost could totally screw it up in many possible ways. So I don't advise humanure compost-making for people who are afraid, uninformed, irresponsible or otherwise unqualified.

Author: Liat Perlmutter (Liat)
Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:45 pm

I remember that somewhere in your book, you told someone that if no one is sick in his house, what is he afraid of?
We want to have only bucket toilets in our new house, do you think there might be any problem if someone will be sick (which will surely happen-someone from the family or a visitor), will all the problematic things (pathogens, ascaris eggs etc) be dead after one year aging of the compost?
I want to emphasize that we want to use the compost for an edible garden.
I read the table in your book that shows the THERMAL DEATH POINTS FOR COMMON PARASITES AND PATHOGENS, but I still asking this since every Permaculture designer that I talked to said I should build a different compost pile for Humanure, and that I shouldn't use the Humanure compost in my edible garden.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.