GREAT BRITAIN

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: GREAT BRITAIN
Author: John_cossham (John_cossham)
Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 6:10 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I'm a keen humanure composter, infact, an anything composter.
For my loo, I use a simple commode. For cover material, I use partly composted sawdust, done in a 'dalek' composter, just sawdust and rainwater, put in at the top, and every now and again, a load dug out of the base through the door.
I put a handful of sawdust in the commode recepticle, deposit manure, urine and tissue paper , and another handful of sawdust. Next time I come to use it, I tip the moist shit sandwich into a plastic brewing bucket. When this is full, I carry it down the garden and tip the lot into a plastic 'dalek' called a 'Compost Machine' (quite tall, green plastic) and this takes between a year and 18 months to fill up. I have three in a row, meaning that each one sits for about 4 years to decompose before being dug out and used to grow tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers. Excellent system, inspired by JJ's THH. Thanks Joe!

Author: Richard_higgins (Richard_higgins)
Monday, August 30, 2010 - 4:52 pm

Hello,
Found your site at last.
I spoke to Joe on phone in US some years ago.
Then I went to Haiti and he attended my 'most approved composting site in Haiti' by Prof Bob Reed.
I would like to add my new technology to this site if possible

application/mswordarticle for the GGA in the UK
GGA on Haiti.doc (35.8 k)

Author: Nancy Baumeister (Nancybeetoo)
Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:09 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

It was interesting reading the comments. They pretty much spanned the range of reactions I have seen as I talk about my humanure compost.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 2:05 pm

The Ethical Man from the BBC visited Joe Jenkins' home on February 25th, 2009. Interesting to read the reactions and opinions of readers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ethicalman/2009/02/ethical_mans_guide_to_making_a_fortune_in_a_lowcar.html

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:43 am

Here's an interesting article about humanure composting, including a video, in the London Times Online, May 12, 2008:

https://timesonline.typepad.com/environment/2008/05/time-to-compost.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.