Saying hi

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Saying hi
Author: Niklas Fred (Nike)
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:22 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

...so hi

My name is Niklas, and I`m from Helsinki, Finland. I actually found Joe`s book from the net a while ago, got so excited about it that I`m now translating it into finnish!

Also, me and my family are about to move into a house of our own in a couple of weeks, so humanure collecting, composting etc. is about to come reality very soon.

I would be interested in contacting the other translators of the book, so please answer here or something if you read this.

The Finnish law requires to use a "closed" compost bin with a lid on top for composting "biowaste". Actually it doesn`t even mention humanure, I think they don`t believe anyone would do it. I sure won`t be asking ;)

ANyways, I bought a commercial model composter, "the Globe". I`m thinking that I`ll compost everything including kitchen left- overs, garden stuff etc. with humanure in it until it gets full, and then I`ll move the semi- composted mass into an open, simple wooden frame to mellow out for a year or so. The Globe has some insulation, but I`m not sure if it will freeze in mid-winter. There hasn`t been many below -20 Celsius days here in many years, but we still usually do get a month or so of -5 C temperatures.

Anyways, looking forward to hearing about all of you!

Here`s a pic of the Globe. Oh yes, and I bought an upgrade ring for it that gives 160 litres more capacity.
https://www.pikkuvihrea.fi/tuotteet_kompostorit_eng.php?id=lt_globe_eng

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.