UGANDA, AFRICA

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: UGANDA, AFRICA
Author: Joe (Joe)
Friday, December 04, 2009 - 4:12 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

It sounds to me like you have plenty of organic materials. You may just need to pile them up and let them compost a bit and use that as your cover materials (elephant dung, leaves, grasses, etc., etc.). Inorganic materials such as ashes will not improve your compost environment and may hinder it. Same for soil and sand. Stick with organic materials and let us know how things develop.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Friday, December 04, 2009 - 3:56 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

December 4, 2009 - via email

Hi!

I'm involved in wildlife management in Africa, and we run camps in the bush. As I'm about to build a fixed camp close to a National Park in a remote area (first tarred road is 150 miles away...), I'd like to install Humanure toilets instead of the "traditional" pit latrines.

Sawdust is not available, as there is no sawmill in a few hundred miles radius. What alternative materials can be used? What is available there is straw (seasonal), dead leaves (seasonal), animal dung (elephants can provide sizable quantities without grumbling about the extra work...), ashes, and inorganic materials like soil/sand. Vegetation goes through very dry seasons during which almost none is available.

Thanks and best regards

Philip Chollet
Kampala - Uganda

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.