ISRAEL

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: ISRAEL
Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Friday, December 04, 2009 - 10:53 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Kavi, I have been doing my own testing on my Humanure system, which is only marginally thermophilic. I use the Coliscan Easygel system for the tests. It takes from 5 to 7 weeks after the last "dump" for the contents to become _E. coli_ free. Understand that the test for _E. coli_ is the industry standard for detecting potential pathogens, although the garden variety of _E. coli_ itself is not pathogenic. Some strains, such as O157:H7 are, but since I am not collecting feces from a cattle feedlot, I'm not worried about it. Hope this helps.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Friday, December 04, 2009 - 5:54 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Regarding research, have you checked the references cited in the humanure handbook? Download the 3rd edition (https://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/Humanure_Handbook_all.pdf) and start at page 240. Also, search this message board for issues related to pathogen suppression, etc.

Good luck!

Take care,

Joe Jenkins

Author: Joe (Joe)
Friday, December 04, 2009 - 5:50 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

From email 12-4-2009

hello!

my name Kavi, im an student for environmental science (B.Sc) in Israel.

i'm in my mid 2nd year, and next year will be a year focused on individual projects. i'm writing you because i have a passion to the humanure subject and would like to devote my last year's project to humanure research- thus i'm in need of background information.

i figure in order to help this important topic reach mainstream acknowledgment, it needs a good firm scientific backup.

i would like to know what research has been made in this subject up till now. i must admit that i'm in the very beginning of the process, and though having my own bucket system at my home for a few months now, i have very little info (a part from your book) about what has been done around the world on the subject scientifically - and that's why my first inquiry is with you.

so, i would like to know -

*what kind of research has been done? what was it focused on? death of pathogens, water conservation, soil health?. etc.
*what would you recommend focusing on?
*is there any basic research that actually proves 100% or so pathogen death in the thermophilic process?

i have much more questions, but i guess your a busy man, so i would love it if you could give me just a general direction on which avenue of research you think is important, and maybe know a good reliable info source i could use.

thank you very much!

Kavi

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.