Alternatives to the Loveable Loo

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Alternatives to the Loveable Loo
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 10:55 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

There are two aspects I can think of which relate to the acceptance/non-acceptance of the squat toilet.
First is the way people dress. I don't think there is need to spell it out, but our "western" style of dressing does get in the way when you are squatting, whereas the "eastern" dress is easier to lift out of the way.
Secondly, there is not quite so much emphasis on cleanliness where society uses those squat toilet facilities; a tendency to leave someone else to clean up the mess. This is true even for the "sit" flushing toilet as well of course, but not such a risk of miss-aiming.
We often consider the amount of water wasted in the flush toilet. The enormous amount of paper used is phenomenal. Think of the millions of trees that are flushed away each year.
Applying the humanure methods to any public situation, like any version of a composting toilet, has a lot of practical problems. The privately owned toilet usually works very well, because the owner(s) take much more care.

Author: Billy_thr_krik (Billy_thr_krik)
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 10:16 am

Its the anal cleansing with water bit whichis difficult to make compatible with the Loveable Loo stile and I don't see any solution ... As a recent squatter I don't even know how people manage to use either paper or water whilst in such a position! I remember there used to be squat latrines here ... The ones I have seen, at bus stations or roadside restaurants, were totally obnoxious. I suppose they were flush style and there was paper to be used... Perhaps with squatting there is not so much cleansing to be done(?)... I haven't experimented not cleansing yet ! Nice work being done in Haiti... There are thousands of Haitians seeking refuge here in Brazil.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 3:36 pm

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Billy. Interesting how each of us works out ways of "dealing" with life's little requirements.
I have been away from Joe's Website for some time. Was in Haiti again for the whole of last November and December, then had to visit the UK and Spain in April.
If you are ever in Ibiza, go and see La Casita Verde...the domain of Chris Dew and his crowd of wonderful willing workers. They are doing some awesome eco-friendly things.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 6:34 am

Oh and thank you Joe for a spectacular book... Most revealing and life style changing! Shall buy a copy... I read the online version in Portuguese... Excellent translation by the way...

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 6:32 am

That is... wiping whilst still squatting (I would think) can soil the back of yr hand...

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 6:30 am

Squatting is the way to go! Cleansing with water can be more efficient than using paper. My recent experiments reveal that wiping with paper can soil the back of one's hand! Using water whilst squatting would soon fill a bucket! So... I line a tray with clippings, squat and empty the deposit into a hole in the compost bin made from placing aside the leaves and clippings thereon. Wazzing is done in a separate receptacle previously and poured on the pile. No odours, very healthy! The draw back is that one shall have to squat close to the pile (which in my case is a pleasure) and soon after take a shower or go to a conventional toilet and use, what we have here in Brazil, a hand held shower thing (which is very efficient) drying yr bum with soft paper afterwards. I haven't experimented leaving the cleaning part for much later as I don't want to leave skid marks...!

Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 4:29 am

In how many countries thoughout the world do people normally use "Squat" toilets, as opposed to our "Sit" toilets as used for the Loveable Loo?

The Squat position is in fact much more healthy for the body. Our muscular systems, and the internal pressures within the abdomen, function naturally. Whereas in the Sitting position we create problems for ourselves. (I know the aesthetical considerations cause most people in the western cultures to cast such considerations aside. That is anyone's choice.)

Has anyone in the working in the field found people reluctant to use the Sitting toilet?

The reason I mention the subject here is that I wonder if in places like Cambodia, people could dispense with promoting the Loveable Loo, in favour of a suitably sized bin, set into the ground, to use as a squat receptacle. The receptacle needs to be small enough to lift easily when it becomes full, but large enough at the top edge to prevent "overshoot." Exactly the same principles apply as when using the Loveable Loo, e.g., the covering with sawdust, etc., after each use. A suitable lid needs to be in place and secured easily after use, to prevent animals gaining access.

Often in cultures using the squat toilet, water is used for anal cleansing, so adequate education needs to be given about preventing all but a minimal amount of water entering the receptacle.

It would be good to see feedback on this subject, if anyone is interested.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.