Anaerobic Digestion in Rural CHINA

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Anaerobic Digestion in Rural CHINA
Author: Test2 (Test2)
Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 10:34 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Based on my understanding:

China developed the digester in part to improve hygiene, since back then in many parts of China the raw humanure was used directly in the field. It also provides methane gas and does completely destroy or almost completely destroy many pathogens, but there are exceptions. For example, I recall some parasitic worm eggs survive in small amounts. However, those are expected to sink to the bottom and so are kept isolated from the environment. The Chinese biogas system does not reach thermophilic conditions so it can not destroy as many pathogens as a compost pile.

Did the expert cite any research about the dangers of the effluent or specific pathogens ?

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 7:11 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I was very surprized to see this statement: "The other sanitary benefit of the digesters is that disease-causing organisms are killed during the digestion process."
An "expert" who's lecture I attended a few years ago painted a horrific picture of the dangers of handling such effluent.
I like to have preconceived ideas dashed to the ground. If Paul Henderson reads these posts, could he please give us further information on the subject?

Author: Shush (Shush)
Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 2:33 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Biogas and humanure, great reading. So much we can do to conserve and thrive at minimal cost!

Author: Whelan (Whelan)
Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 3:31 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Anaerobic Digestion in Rural China
By J. Paul Henderson, P.Eng.
https://www.cityfarmer.org/biogasPaul.html

This seems to be a good option.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.