The idel site for a compost pile?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: The idel site for a compost pile?
Author: matthew lee
Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 3:04 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

first off, i love the book. it has been such an encouragment to find practical ideas and steps towards safe and effective composting. i had a couple of questions though. the answers are probably in the book somewhere, but i have not stumbled upon them yet, and i am very anxious to get started. i was wondering where the ideal spot in my yard would be to erect my 3 bin pallet compost pile. shade? sunlight? both? i live in northwest arkansas, where the humidity levels are ridiculous. will this affect my pile? also, do you think cedar chips are an effective cover material? i am talking about the bags that you can purchase at a local convenience store. they are not as finely grated as sawdust...nowhere near...but i do not live near any sawmills. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Author: Joe
Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 6:22 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

The location of the bin is not a major concern, other than that it should be out of the way and not "in your face," so to speak. A back corner would suffice. Humidity is not a factor in the operation of the compost. Cedar is not a good material for compost, as it is rot resistant. If you must buy a cover material, try peat moss. There should, however, be sawmills in Arkansas, perhaps closer than you suspect.

Author: Herb_Wis
Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:26 pm

I sited my humanure bins the shortest distance from my outhouse as possible and yet out of sight behind my house where they are screened by balsam trees and I planted some arborvitaes to further screen them.

Thinking ahead when I'm an old guy, I don't want to hike very far thru the winter snow with a full shitbag. The bin system also eliminates the holes I used to dig to bury my "waste." So far after a year of use, I find no disadvantage to the humanure bin system at all and find it superior to my former burial method.

Author: abigailcrimm
Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 9:19 pm

Hi,
Thank you for helping us all. My question is this: I recently purchased a house and luckily there are three wire cylindrical compost bins in the back yard but I noticed that the only other structure you had recommended was a cylinder which has another wire cylinder around it filled with leaves. Is this imperative? In that case I'll just use the wire from two to go around the third of the bins and later construct wooden ones with pallets.
Sincerely, Abby C.

Author: Anonymous
Friday, May 13, 2005 - 11:30 am

To Admin, If the bin were in a small dirt floor building & protected from the winter cold would the core heat of the compost work to the outside? Does heating compost have an odor?

Author: admin
Friday, May 13, 2005 - 1:16 pm

Heating compost does not necessarily have an odor. It depends on a lot of factors. A small compost bin that is thoroughly covered with clean cover material will not have an odor. A huge, uncovered compost pile at a municipal site will have an odor, particularly when first created with fresh garbage. The odor soon disappears after the compost process converts the organic material and the odor disappears altogether in the finished compost.

The core heat of the compost doesn't radiate from the compost pile, if that's what you mean. It stays in the center.

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:14 pm

the post about the wire cilinders. You can probably just use the cilinders as they are. One as the active bin, another for next year's bin as the first one is aging and the one in between as the storage for clean cover material to be used as needed.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.