Las Vegas Humanure Hopeful

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Las Vegas Humanure Hopeful
Author: Test2 (Test2)
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 7:29 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Jeremy_faye TIPS:

1) Make sure grass clippings, weed clippings are herbicide and pesticide free.

2) For outside have back up carbon material on hand - plenty of shredded newspaper, plenty of dry grass and weed clippings. Maybe dry coffee grounda nd filters - this is stop any potential fly problems.

3) Inside - cover deposits with about 3 layers of newspaper - each torn to about diameter of pail. Then all you need to do is put a ring of cofffee grounds around the edges, and perhaps a spronkling of cofee grounds in the center. One draw back to using wet grounds is potential fruit fly problems. A layers of dry newspaper may stop them, or just stick to dry grounds.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 2:08 pm

Coffee grounds are about 2% nitrogen, plus if there are some paper filters, or newspaper it works, you get a good composting ratio. You are also including household compostable material as well that should help provide more balance. Indoors - use coffee grounds (best if dry) and their filters and newspaper. But I find even wet grounds and filters plus dry newspaper works. Outdoors use coffee grounds and their filters _ I use them wet. But maybe dry would be better - I do not know. If any bug problems or smell - just layer on some newspaper. It would be great if you can then cover the outdoor pile with DRY weeds and Dry grass clippings. Sometimes wet grass clippings mat down and create a slimy mess - but if not to thick they may work wet as well. Still dry is probably best - especially if thicker layers need to stop smell or flies.

Author: Jeremy_faye (Jeremy_faye)
Monday, November 12, 2012 - 9:25 am

Test2 - Coffee grounds would be very accessible to me - I am already collecting a 5 gal bucket a day of them from my local coffee shop for my other compost piles, but I thought they were a rich source of nitrogen, not carbon? I imagine they would seal off the humanure and prevent flies and odor, but would it throw off the carbon/nitrogen ratio?

Also, I'm trying to get a local yard work guy to let us have all his grass clippings. Would this be coarse enough for the coarse carbon cover materials for the outdoor pile? We don't have good access to things like hay or straw.

Ecointerest - thanks for the idea about using shredded paper, but unfortunately for me, I have a medical condition that makes my stools very watery all the time anyway. Redirecting my urine wouldn't result in a dry product.

Thanks everybody for the quick and informative responses. I hope I'll be able to make this work soon. :-)

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 12:08 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Having been in Haiti for a few days now, on my second visit to this country, the first thing that strikes me is the need to be a little flexible on the exact method we use for composting humanure.
The "Oursoil" community here uses a slight variation on Joe's system, in that they use a separation Loo, i.e., the urine is collected in a bottle via a funnel built into the front of the pedestal and the feces go into the main bucket to be covered with sawdust.
This could be a way to think when sawdust is not readily available.
I suggest that, if the feces are kept relatively dry, you could use shredded office paper much more effectively as a cover material. Then, when the bucket is emptied into the compost pile outside, you could perhaps add the urine, neat or diluted with some water, to the pile.
The main objective for covering the humanure in the bucket is to prevent smells and flies gaining access. The small size of the sawdust grains serves to smother effectively, whereas the shredded paper will not do this: it will simply cover it out of sight and should at least keep the flies at bay.
I offer this only as a discussion, since I have never tried it in practice. If anyone can give more information it would be appreciated.
The Humanure method, including urine and feces in the same bucket is much the preferred method, but if circumstances are different we need to think "outside the square."

Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 10:45 pm

Peat Moss is a good choice but costs money, energy to transport and some questions about environment and sustainabilty. Coffee grounds and their filters. Works best if they are dry. Newspaper (no slick paper type) - bit more difficult to use - a couple layers of paper followed by peat moss or coffee grounds.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 10:25 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Peat moss?

Author: Jeremy_faye (Jeremy_faye)
Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 9:51 am

Hello! I live in Las Vegas, NV and want to start collecting and composting my humanure. Unfortunately, there is no good source for sawdust anywhere nearby. I read in other posts about using mulched leaves, but there aren't that many deciduous trees, and because our winters are so mild, the leaves tend to fall off very gradually, instead of all at once like in other areas, which would make them very difficult to gather up in the quantities we'd need. Two humans live in my household, with occasional guests. Any ideas? Considering the state of Lake Mead, I'd like to stop shitting in the drinking water, but I'm having a hard time finding the stuff to make this work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_mead#Drought_and_water_usage_issues

https://globetrottergirls.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Lake-Mead-2.jpg

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.