Humanmanure compost phosphate research

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Humanmanure compost phosphate research
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 2:00 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I have been looking back at some Postings, and fine this one, started by Fiona back in 2001. She was having difficulty with the local council who wanted it proven that the Clivus Multrum system would "retain phosphates" sufficiently to prevent pollution.
By doing a little "surfing," I came up with this website:
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/resources/soils/improvement/phosphorous
Australian soils, being so very old geologically, are generally deficient in phosphorus, unlike the younger soils of the Europe and America.
Maybe the world of officialdome has moved on since 2001/2, one would hope so. You would think that locking up phosphorus into a slow release fertiliser, such as humanure, would be a wonderful alternative to importing huge amounts of phosphates from overseas.

Author: Muttmom (Muttmom)
Friday, October 15, 2010 - 5:34 pm

As a fulltime Rver in US I see lots of places where sawdust toilets would be practical. Has anyone had any luck getting legal approval for these instead of a $40,000 sandmond in a "bad perk" area or are people just doing it quietly in their back yard where they have a septic system? I have been doing it for 6 months using leaf compost instead of sawdust and have NO smell.Yeah!!!I would love to get it started in NFS or BLM area,etc. Perfect for the southwest with water shortages! Won't the garden plants take up the nitrogen so there is no problem with it polluting- isn't that organic gardening?

Author: fiona
Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 10:55 am

hi, my name is Fiona and I live in Mandurah Western Australia. We have just purchased a property in an area that is close to a water body. A special provision listed states that prior to a dwelling being approved, the owners must install an alternative waste treatment unit that has approved phosphate retention properties. Generally the approved systems available are either an aerobic treatment unit, which chlorinates the waste before spraying it around, or the Ecomax or Enviro-safe Septic Systems which are expensive septics with glorified soil ($1000aus worth of parts selling for around $8000aus). I have done the research and found one greywater treatment method by Ecomax the local shire will approve, it is expensive ($4000aus)but none-the-less, it retains the phosphate and disperses the water in an area. BUT they have rejected my application for a clivus multrum composting toilet under the conditions that it is not an approved phosphate retentive system. I am allowed to appeal this and I most definately intend to, but i need to gather any research figures / information that shows that the compost waste that is to be buried is no more rich in phosphate than the average cow pat or dog doo. If i can get this set up approved it will allow all people statewide in these areas to get instant approval and therefore dramatically increase the number of people in wa installing such systems, thus reducing the impact on the environment. Can anyone out there help?

Author: Joe
Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 5:36 pm

The following info is from my book, the Humanure Handbook, on the web at https://www.weblife.org/humanure/chapter6_6.html

CLIVUS MULTRUM AUSTRALIA
115 Railway Avenue, Strathpine, Qld 4500, Australia
Phone: 61 7 3889 6144
Fax: 61 7 3889 6149
Mobile phone: 0419 657851
Email: www.ats.com.au
Sells the Clivus Multrum range of toilets and graywater systems as well as toilet buildings for use in National Parks and Public areas. Also acts as agent for Separett and EnviroLet composting toilets.

CLIVUS MULTRUM TOILET SYSTEMS (Agent)
9 Holland Street, Fremantle 6160, Western Australia, Australia
Phone: (08) 9430 7777
Fax: 61 8 9430 4305
Email: gaianet@cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Agent for Clivus Multrum composting toilets in western Australia.

CLOSET DEPOSIT
3 Redash Place, Cabarita Beach, NSW 2488 Australia;
Supplies own design, inclined base, fibreglass composting chamber. Improved ventilation system for reduced tank size. Also supplies artificial wetlands graywater system in ferro-cement or HDPE plastic with flowform water conditioners.

DOWMUS
Pty Ltd PO Box 400, Mapleton Qld, 4552, Australia
Phone: 61 7 5499 9828
Fax: 61 7 5499 9688
Email: dowmus@ozemail.com.au
Supply and install single batch tank system with compost extortion auger. Emphasis on worm and compost fauna treatment. Also incorporating graywater treatment.

GARRY SCOTT COMPOST TOILET SYSTEMS
Mullumbimby NSW, 2482, Australia
Phone: 61 2 6684 3468
FAX: 61 2 6684 4567
Email: enquires@composttoilets.com.au
Design, manufacture, supply and service of a wide range of waterless compost toilets. Independent agent for systems manufactured by Clivus Multrum, Natureloo, Envirolet, Separett and selected others. Manufacture of lowcost PBD and Wheelie Batch systems. Ownerbuilder assistance with consultation, components, plans and books. Agent for the Hybrid toilet system, a septic system, with no flush, secondary treatment and excellent performance.

NATURE-LOO
Savannah Environmental Pty Ltd, 74 Brisbane Street, Bulimba, QLD 4171, Australia
Postal Address: P.O. Box 150, Bulimba, Queensland, Australia 4171
Phone: 61 7 3395 6800
Fax: 61 7 3395 5322
Email: info@nature-loo.com.au
Patented market-leader in domestic composting toilets: inexpensive, aerated tank, odour-free, batch system. Classic model easily owner-installed in space under floor. Self-contained Compact model can be installed on slab floor, and is suitable for temporary accommodation, holiday cabins, building sites, camp grounds, etc. Also markets toilet buildings suitable for golf courses, building sites, etc.

ROTA-LOO COMPOSTING TOILET
41A Jarrah Drive or PO Box 988, Braeside, Victoria 3195 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9587 2447
Fax: 61 3 9587 5622
E mail: buzzburrows@rotaloo.com
General info: enquiry@rotaloo.com
Domestic models, Mini 650, Standard 950 all with removable compost bins. Commercial models, Maxi 1200 (Fiberglass) Maxi 2000, all with removable compost bins. Soltran buildings, remote location Public Toilet Facilities, supplied in kit form in any configuration with combinations of two cubicles either standard or disabled. Graywater systems, plans available for passive systems or electropurification system will clean graywater to potable standard. Other products:Bacterial agents to speed up the decompostion rate.Bacterial agents that terminate odour problems in bad installations. Full range of accessories, fiberglass and ceramic pedestals. Urinals that don't need water for cleaning.

Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 9:18 am

Yes I have contacted Clivus Multrum in Australia but they don't have any research on the compost from the humanure, what phosphate levels the end product contains and what amount it outputs. That is why I am searching elsewhere in the world. Being the expert on humanure I thought you or someone out there may have done research on the compost toilet end product? I need to present the shire with research figures.

Author: joe
Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 12:02 pm

If your shire is so certain that humanure compost will contain excessive amounts of phosphate then he (she?) must have a source of information. If not, then what is he basing his opinion on?

According to the Humanure Handbook, 2nd ed., page 51 (Chapter 3), "Organic matter from compost enables the soil to immobilize and degrade pesticides, nitrates, phosphorous, and other things that can become pollutants. Compost binds pollutants in soil systems, reducing their leachability and absorption by plants." You can look this up and check the reference (#8, Chapter 3) at https://www.weblife.org/humanure/chapter3.html

Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 5:33 pm

joe you are a genius. thank you. i will let you know how i go with my appeal...thank you thank you thank you....fi

Author: robert silber
Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 7:27 pm

Joe - I am forwarding a message i sent to jim McCue re: municipal composting in the city of pgh. he said you may be interested in getting involved down here. the city pays $30 per ton to get rid of 5000 tons of compostables a year. the city has a very poor leaf compost system and encourages people to bag them up for garbage, accepting as many as 5 bngs of leaves per week. I have tried as trail coordinator for Friends of the Riverfront to get the city to grind up branches, limbs, etc. and sheet mulch all including grass and leaves along the trails in pgh. so far we and PRC have run into inertia, good ole boy network and union politics. any extra pushing or ideas would be helpful. a more eco-logical system could underbid the present contractor, make money, etc.

Author: Anonymous
Monday, December 17, 2001 - 11:29 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

What about using an are of land as a public demonstration plot of Mr Jenkin's composting system and gardening as a proving ground to show the city? When the people approve the leaders will.

Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 12:22 pm

well i have done the appeal, and have been oficially rejected. apparently the compost toilet is not going to be an approved phosphate retentive system until the company that distributes them applies for it which takes $$$ and time. i feel there response is lazy and careless to say the least so i will continue to fight for my composting toilet. if anyone out there has any information on the breakdown rates of the finished product for on site burial i would be glad for assistance.

Author: jane
Friday, May 28, 2004 - 3:50 pm

Hi
I am a mature age [F]Post Graduate student on small acreage midway between Mackay and Rockhampton.
If there is anyone willing to share accommodation then you can contact me via email: the_quill@myway.com
Hugely reduced rent for someone willing to water gardens.
Double colourbond garage separate carport henhouse greenhouse vege garden fruit trees. Fenced screened aircon etc.
Suit easygoing person.
Contact Jane.

Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 8:45 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Under the entry
By Joe on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:36 pm:

CLIVUS MULTRUM TOILET SYSTEMS (Agent)
9 Holland Street, Fremantle 6160, Western Australia, Australia
Phone: (08) 9430 7777
Fax: 61 8 9430 4305
Email: gaianet@cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Agent for Clivus Multrum composting toilets in western Australia.

Please remove ALL of the above CLIVUS MULTRUM TOILET SYSTEMS (Agent) information
as it is long out of date and no longer true.

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:53 pm

Fiona,
I don't know if you are likely to be back on this message board but I post anyway. Your issue with the phosphate retention. The problem may be that the composting toilet needs to be emptied and the officials are unwilling to do any extra work to understand composting. There probably needs to be some system for the contents to be utilized with no chance of runoff or leaching into the lake. This may no be practical but maybe someone can figure out how to make it so. The contents could be used in contained planting beds to grow plants that will use the phosphate and nitrogen. After use for a certain amount of time it could be tested. If it tests ok then it could be simply used in an outdoor garden or spread. This doesn't really help the outdoor soil very much but it might work.

Author: kumati
Monday, February 13, 2006 - 9:05 pm

Hi Fiona,

I have recently become interested in the self composting toilets.

The problem here in Australia is that we have local councils that are too lazy to get off there collective bums and doo something positive for a change.

To get rid of the phosphate residual there is a product called Biogreen Humic Peat from their plant Colac in Victoria. Their website is www.biogreen.info they have a lot of detail on the actions of Humic Peat.

The action of the Peat is amazing. It is an attractant to heavy metals, such as phosphate, the phosphate is "locked in" the peat & the peat won't release heavy metals. The Peat bed system is used by Pivot Fertilisers near Shepparton Victoria to collect the run-off from fertilsers that are stored outside when it rains.

There is a housing project in NSW that used the peat in their septic system & the peat bed stood the test.

So tell these lazy council "coots" to get uptodate with whats happening in the real world.
Get them to read about the work that Dr Brent Davey has done.

Cheers

Glen

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.