Humanure Composting in SURINAME, SOUT...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Humanure Composting in SURINAME, SOUTH AMERICA
Author: admin
Saturday, December 22, 2001 - 11:34 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I have been meaning on emailing you a long time ago. My name is Chris Maxwell-Gaines and my wife and I are Peace Corps volunteers serving in Suriname, South America. One of our fellow volunteers had the Humanure Handbook and thought that I would enjoy reading your book since I am a civil engineer.

I thoroughly enjoyed your book and decided to put your system into practice at our village. Suriname is located in the tropics so it is always hot here and makes for a good environment for rapid composting. We started out by using sawdust to cover our shit. After a while, termites made a home in our pile of sawdust, so we wanted to change to a different cover medium. Our village has a rice mill which pulls the hulls off
of the rice kernels. I decided to use the rice hulls and they have worked perfectly. I believe that they are a little bit more tougher than sawdust to break down, but I did not want termites living in our compost piles.

We filled one bin so far and I plan on opening it up in April. That will be 6 months after we stopped putting new stuff on it. I figured that here in the tropics, the needed temperatures would be reached faster and the compost used more quickly than in the US.

My friend who loaned me your book wanted me to email you to tell you about our usage of your system and about the cover medium we use. We are trying to make humanure composting a required practice by all of the volunteers.

Thank you,

Chris Maxwell-Gaines
maxwellgaines@yahoo.com

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:42 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Joe,
Have there been any updates from that info?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.